Volunteers created the ENC and continue to contribute a significant portion of the skills, effort and time required to run the Center. Opportunities include:
Grounds volunteers are needed to help weed, plant, maintain the trails and pick-up litter. Groups of adults that would like to schedule a volunteer day to work out on the grounds should contact our Horticulture Manager.
- Volunteers should each bring a re-usable water bottle filled with water. Single use disposable plastic is not allowed on any ENC Campus.
- Closed toed shoes are required. Please clean shoes before coming to avoid the spread of weed seed and pathogens.
- Please have everyone visiting review our Zero Waste Policy.
- Review our “How to Dress to Volunteer” video.
- If you will be planting, review our “How to Plant a Plant” video.
- Do not bring any tools or gloves, to avoid the spread of weed seed and pathogens.
- Before volunteering, please complete the volunteer application, HERE.
We also recommend:
- Sun protection (hat, sunscreen, sunglasses)
- Both the ENC Main Campus and Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary have Poison Oak. Tucker also has rattlesnakes. Long pants and long sleeves are recommended.
Volunteer Hours: Weekends 10AM – 12:30PM, 12:30PM – 3PM. Weekday docents are also needed (8AM to 12:30 and 12:30 – 5PM).
Interested in spending time helping out at the Environmental Nature Center? Museum Docents staff the front desk, greet visitors, and provide information at the ENC’s state-of-the-art learning facility. Training will cover frequently asked questions, emergency info, and ENC policies and procedures. Join our team! Commit to volunteering one day a week or just one day a month! Come one come all! How to get started? Read the Museum Docent Manual. Fill out and sign the last page for the manual, and return it to the ENC. Once we receive it we will contact you to arrange additional training. Contact Lori for more info!
Discovery Table Docents
Spend some time greeting guests and encouraging awareness and appreciation of the environment as a Discovery Cart Docent at the Environmental Nature Center in Newport Beach or at Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary in Modjeska Canyon! Relax in the shade and greet guests as they enter the gate to the trails. Provide basic information about the facility, reminders to observe nature quietly and stay on the trails. We will train you to provide basic information about rotating Discovery Cart exhibits! Examples of Discovery Cart exhibits might be animal skulls (discuss the difference between predators and prey!), bird nests/eggs, animal evidence (scat & tracks), or pelts (camouflage). In the Spring/Summer this position will also include volunteering in the Butterfly House when adequate butterflies are present. Complete our Volunteer Application online and we’ll alert you when training is scheduled, or check our event calendar!
Do you have something meaningful to bring to the table? Want to add some experience to your résumé? The ENC is seeking a few great Interns who are motivated “self starters.” Like most non-profits, we have a lot that needs to get done, and not always enough time to do it. Click on the links below to learn about our opportunities, but before you do that, read this great article about interning! Learn all about our internship opportunities HERE.
Please note: If you are volunteering in any capacity at the ENC as a requirement of a court, probation department, judicial officer, etc., please contact Lori Whalen at 949-645-8489 ext. 103, as there is a different procedure involved.