Gate Greeters/Discovery Cart
Spend some time greeting guests and encouraging awareness and appreciation of the environment as a Gate Greeter at the ENC Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary in Modjeska Canyon! Relax in the shade and greet guests as they enter the gate to the Sanctuary trails. Provide basic information about the facility, reminders to observe nature quietly, to stay on the trails, and be aware of rattlesnakes. We will also train you to provide basic information about rotating Discovery Cart exhibits! Examples of Discovery Cart exhibits might be animal skulls (discuss the difference between predators and prey!), bird nests/eggs, animal evidence (scat & tracks), or pelts (camouflage). If you have a special interest in a specific topic we’d love to work with you to develop an exhibit! We’re not quite sure of the shifts yet, but they will certainly be Saturdays and Sundays, likely 2.5 hours (i.e. 10AM – 12:30 or 12:30 – 3PM). Training will include an overview of the ENC Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary, frequently asked questions, and some basic natural history info that you can share while you’re volunteering. Register for our inaugural training on September 4 HERE. Volunteer scheduling will occur after training, shifts will likely be scheduled as early as late September!
Grounds volunteers are occasionally needed to help weed and maintain the trails. Complete our volunteer application below to be alerted when we schedule volunteer opportunities. Groups of adults that would like to schedule a volunteer day to work out on the grounds should contact us.
- Volunteers should each bring a re-usable water bottle filled with water. Single use disposable plastic is not allowed at the ENC or Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Closed toed shoes are required. Please clean shoes before coming to avoid the spread of weed seed and pathogens.
- Please have everyone visiting review our Zero Waste Policy.
- Review our “How to Dress to Volunteer” video.
- If you will be planting, review our “How to Plant a Plant” video.
- Do not bring any tools or gloves, to avoid the spread of weed seed and pathogens.
- Before volunteering, please complete the volunteer application, HERE.
We also recommend:
- Sun protection (hat, sunscreen, sunglasses)
- Long sleeves and long pants to protect skin.
Do you have something meaningful to bring to the table? Want to add some experience to your résumé? The ENC’s Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary is seeking a few great Interns who are motivated “self starters.” Like most non-profits, we have a lot that needs to get done, and not always enough time to do it. Learn all about our internship opportunities HERE.
Please note: If you are volunteering in any capacity at the ENC as a requirement of a court, probation department, judicial officer, etc., please contact Lori Whalen at 949-645-8489 ext. 103, as there is a different procedure involved.