All spaces in Summer Nature Camp 2021 are now full. You are welcome to sign up on the waitlist HERE.
Please note: All camp logistics (i.e. group size, drop-off/pick-up protocols, etc.), are subject to change based on changes to regulations regarding COVID-19.
Current Summer Camp Mask Policy (updated 6/15/21):
Thank you for your patience as we navigate the world of constantly changing COVID policies. We have just received word from our Executive Director that our camps will now be permitted to deviate from our Nature Preschool’s mask policies and lift our mask mandate for outdoor activities. Here’s what you need to know:
- masks will not be required for any children or adults when outside (regardless of vaccination status)
- masks will need to be worn by all staff and children when inside (i.e. during restroom breaks)
- campers must arrive with a clean mask each day and keep it with them at all times; for this reason we suggest a string or lanyard that will keep it around their neck like a necklace
- any children or adults who wish to continue wearing their masks outdoors may of course do so!
Please contact our Camp Director Mindy if you have any questions or concerns about our mask policy.
The ENC has offered Nature Camps since 1977! Nature Camp provides nature play and quality science education in an outdoor, hands-on setting. ENC Nature Camp emphasizes experiential learning. Campers spend their time outside, having a great time observing nature up close using tools like binoculars, magnifying lenses and microscopes. Science concepts are introduced in a fun environment, with crafts, games and hands-on activities.
Summer Nature Camp provides a fun learning experience while also giving campers the opportunity to get outside for fresh air, physical activity, and a chance to hang out socially with their peers. Campers will spend time at the ENC with friends and mentors for hands-on education, creative enrichment and expression, a chance to explore without stress. All ENC campers must be fully potty trained.
Little Naturalist Camp is offered for kids age 4.
Little Naturalist fee: $325
Register HERE starting March 1
Nature Adventure Camp is offered for kids age 5-8.
Nature Adventure Fee: $275
Register HERE starting March 1
Science Explorer Camp is offered for kids age 9-13.
Science Explorer Fee: $275
Register HERE starting March 1
ENC members can use their discount code to receive a 10% discount. Contact us if you do not know the code.
What are the Session Dates & Themes?
Session 1: June 21 – 25 – Amazing Animals
Session 2: June 28 – July 2 – Planet Protectors
Session 3: July 5 – 9 – Earth Rocks!
Session 4: July 12 – 16 – California Adventure
Session 5: July 19 – 23 – Legends & Lore
Session 6: July 26 – 30 – Creativity in Nature
Session 7: August 2 – 6 – Nature Detectives
Session 8: August 9 -13 – Science Superstars
Click HERE for a description of the Camp Themes!
What time is Camp?
Camp is 4 hours.
Pick-up and Drop off times are staggered for the safety of our campers, volunteers and staff. In the registration form you can choose a drop-off time preference starting as early as 8:45 and as late as 11AM. We will take your campers’ age/grade, drop-off time request, and any friend request, into consideration when creating our camp groups. You will be informed of your final drop off time the week before camp begins.
What about COVID?
The ENC will adhere to health and safety standards based on the most up-to-date and scientific information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the OC Health Care Agency. Read our modified Camp COVID-19 Policies HERE prior to registering.
Read the Nature Camp Newsletter prior to your first day of camp!
If you like, you can read the Camp Orientation with lots of great info that Campers hear on their first day of Nature Camp.
Questions? Call 949-645-8489 ext. 102
Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
How many campers are in each group? Enrollment in Little Naturalist Camp is limited to small classes of up to 8 campers per teacher with a high school assistant. Enrollment in Nature Adventure and Science Explorers Camp is limited to small classes of up to 10 campers per teacher with a high school assistant.
My children are a few years apart, can they be in the same group? Our Campers are divided into groups by grade level. Curricula and activities are designed for these different age groups, which are developmentally distinct from each other.
What is the registration deadline? Registration closes at noon on the Friday before each camp, but frequently camps fill long before that. An additional fee ($60 per camper) applies for late registration (less than 96 hours before the first day of a camp session). Please realize that Camp Staff does not work between 5PM on Friday and 8AM on Monday, so contacting us about late registration over the weekend may not guarantee a spot in camp for your child.
Who are the Camp Teachers? Our Nature Camp Teachers are Naturalists who teach here throughout the school year. All of our educators are exceptionally qualified in elementary science education and represent a wide range of expertise in the Orange County educational community. See our staff bios HERE.
What will the kids be doing? Campers explore the Center, interact with our Animal Ambassadors, play educational nature themed games, create nature themed arts and crafts, do science experiments and so, so much more. Each week has different activities, so feel free to sign up for more than one session!
If you do not see your questions answered on this page, feel free to call us at 949-645-8489 or email the Camp Director!
ENC Nature Camp Scholarships
The ENC provides a limited number of partial (1/2 the camp fee) scholarships each year. Limit one per family. Sessions will be determined based on availability. ENC Nature Camp Scholarship Instructions:
1. Complete scholarship application, HERE, on or after March 1.
2. Complete the online Nature Camp application at https://encenter.campbrainregistration.com/ up through the point of paying. Do not pay. Once you get to that point, email Mindy (email@example.com) and let her know you’ve completed this step.
3. Email or mail a letter of recommendation from your child’s current teacher. Be sure that the letter is signed with the teacher’s name, title and phone number. Mailing address: Environmental Nature Center, Attn: Camp Director, 1601 E. 16th Street, Newport Beach, CA 92663
4. A thank you letter from your child written to the scholarship provider, within one week of the completion of the session.
Deadline: Scholarship applications must be submitted by May 31, 2021 by 8AM. Scholarship recipients will be notified on May 31, 2021 by 5PM.
- Refund requests made 2 weeks or more prior to the start date of camp are subject to $50.00 fee per session of camp.
- Less than 2 weeks notice, no refund requests will be processed.
- Absent Campers: There are no refunds, make up days or credits for days missed for any reason (including sickness/illness). The ENC depends on income from camps for the continued operations of the Center.
- All session changes will incur a $25.00 fee.