Hello, Nature Families, ☺!
We are missing you all so much at the Nature Center, sending big hugs & oh so much love your way!
I would love to share a couple of my favorite bubble recipes & DIY Bubble Wands craft idea for you & your littles at home:
HOMEMADE GIANT BUBBLE RECIPE:
- 6 cups water (distilled or filtered is best but tap water is fine)
- 1/2 cup blue Dawn dish detergent (Dawn original is best).
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp baking powder(not baking soda)
- 1 tbsp Glycerine
How to Make Homemade Giant Bubbles Potion
- Dissolve Cornstarch
Dissolve cornstarch in the water, stirring really well.
- Add Remaining Ingredients
Stir in the rest of the ingredients, being very careful not to create a lot of froth/foam.
- Let it Sit
Allow your bubble mixture to sit for at least an hour before using, stirring occasionally when you see the
cornstarch settling to the bottom.
Note: Some of the cornstarch won’t dissolve completely and may even settle to the bottom when you’re using your bubble mixture, but it won’t affect the quality of your bubbles.
TIP: I find this bubble solution easiest to use if you pour it into a shallow baking pan (from our Mud Kitchen) or a large casserole dish: (11×15) Pyrex dish. It allows littles to get their wands completely submerged in the bubble potion ☺
Homemade Bubble Wands Kids Can Make
Take the end of a piece of wire and form into a round circle, about 3 inches in diameter. Twist the end to close the circle. Next, pull the other end straight down for the handle, make this as long as you would like and snip off the end.
Have your children string wooden beads on the wire handle (make words, designs, whatever they want). After they are finished their design twist the end of the wire to secure the beads and snip off any extra wire.
DIY Bubble Wands & Bubbles
- Floral Wire
- Wooden Beads (Much better for our Earth & Us than plastic beads)
- Wire Snips
- ¼ cup Dawn Dish Soap
- 1 Tbsp. Glycerin
- 2 ½ cups Water
- For the bubble mixture, mix the Dawn, glycerin, and water and set aside.
- Take the end of a piece of wire and form into a round circle, about 3 inches in diameter. Twist the end to close the circle.
- Pull the other end straight down for the handle, make this as long as you would like and snip off the end.
- String the wooden beads on the wire handle and twist the end of the wire to secure the beads and snip off any extra.
- Dip the bubble wand into the soap mixture and blow to make big bubbles.
Sending Love & Health,
Valerie Bain, MSW
Early Childhood Specialist