Event Phone: 949-645-8489 ext. 103
- January 17, 2019
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The Hummingbird Parenting series provides parents with tools for encouraging their children’s healthy development through play and sensory learning in nature. Join us each month for a program on a different “parenting with nature” topic. The benefits of nature play are proven, but sometimes parents don’t know where to begin. We want to help!
- Children who spend time in nature are healthier. Outdoor play increases fitness and builds active, healthy bodies.
- Outdoor environments are important to children’s development of independence and autonomy.
- Nature play improves children’s social skills and results in higher academic achievement.
- Children who spend time in nature have better language skills and more self-discipline and competency skills.
- Spending time in the open air and learning outside increases students’ ability to think both critically and creatively.
If we want our children and grandchildren to connect with nature today, we’ll need to be more proactive than in the past, when electronic devices did not dominate our culture. We need to encourage our kids to leave their electronic devices behind and play the old fashioned way – build forts, dig tunnels to China, make mud pies, smell damp bark, eat wild berries, listen to the variety of bird songs, and sit under trees to observe insects live out their lives in miniature worlds.
Hummingbird Parenting is a concept popularized by Richard Louv and coined by Michele Whiteaker of FunOrangeCountyParks.com in 2010.
Hummingbird Parents can stay physically distant, letting their children explore and problem solve, but zoom in when safety is an issue or to support a curious question with conversation. Join us each month and we’ll help you find a comfort level with standing back and making space for independent nature play. We’ll also share exciting ways to play and learn with your children in nature.
5:30-5:45pm: Check In
5:45pm-6:00pm: Welcome/Intro – Bo Glover, ENC Executive Director
6:00pm-6:30pm: Hummingbird Parenting – Sue Bierlich, ENC Nature Preschool Director
6:30pm-7:00pm: Speaker & light meal – Jill Johnson, Preschool Teacher & Accidental Activist
7:00pm-7:30pm: Nature Play Activity – Valerie Bain & Sue Bierlich
7:30pm: Debrief/Announcements (Wine & S’mores at the Fire pit)
Each month we’ll enjoy a light meal together and share some wine and s’mores by the campfire. To sponsor the food or wine for this event, please contact Lori.
This is an adult only event.